Tuesday, January 4, 2011

An American in Sweden

When I was 14 years I visited some Swedish friends of mine in Sweden.  Their family actually just spent summers in Sweden and lived the rest of the year in England.  They were school mates of mine in England.  My father's work took us to England.

I flew to Gothemberg Sweden by my self, I met my friends (and their mom) at the airport and we drove about an hour into the Swedish country side to a small town on the sea.  It was beatiful, lots of large trees, bike paths, few roads, no stop lights and no commercial buildings.  It was truly a village.

One night the whole family (father, mother and my two friends) met several other families at a local resturant.  It really was not like a restaurant, but someone's home who allowed groups to book the dining room and the food and service was provided.  It felt more like a dinner party.

As we went around the table for some introductions, the attention came to me.  At this time I was a 14 year old boy who had a crew cut, pretty skinney and very shy.  As I was introduced by my friends and with all eyes on me, for some reason I made a muscle with my arm and said 'Jag komme from America' which translates to 'I come from America'.  This brought the house down, everyone burst out laughing, I guess the site of a scrawny kid saying this in bad Swedish was very funny.  I was actually trying to be funny (I was not serious when I had said it) but I was a little embarrassed at the amount of laughter, but the evening carried on and it was alot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment